Monday, May 27, 2013

Joy of Food




I watched for the umpteenth time, Tortilla Soup.  It is truly one of my favorite food movies.  It was after viewing that movie 10 years ago that I became a serious foodie and realize that of all things you can give man, don’t give him the inability to eat. Eating is more than a physical act,  it’s mental and emotional too.

Eating is peaceful because it automatically calms us.  We are at our greatest peace when we are eating and especially when it’s good food.  Eating is medicinal because we are automatically feel less pain when we are eating – for some it makes us feel better.  Think of the feel of a hot bowl of chicken soup when you’re in bed suffering from the worse cold and sore throat you wouldn’t wish on your enemy. Having that warm savory liquid down your scratchy throat is like medicine from heaven. 

It makes us more responsible.  Whoa, Val how are you going to connect this to food?  Well, it’s a stretch but be real with me here and tell the truth.  Aren’t you more inclined to show up at a meeting if you knew there was going to be food served and especially from that favorite place that you can only afford everyone once in awhile?    Eating also keeps us in love.  I know that every time my husband cooks, I find myself falling more in love with him because from his hands comes my nourishment and my joy – food.

I think about the 173,000 people in South Jersey who don’t get to experience this joy everyday especially children and seniors.  And because of that, we (Food Bank of South Jersey) have this fierce determination that no one in South Jersey will go to bed to hungry if we can help it.  “Of all the things you can give man – don’t give him the inability to eat.”

Here’s to the joy of food for all of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment